Changing the list of Event Types you can choose from
This How-to applies to: 2.1, 2.5, 3.0
The Event content type has a field for Event Type where you can indicate the sort of event you are publishing on your site. Some common examples of Event Types are:
- Social Event
Be aware that Event Types in Plone are the same thing as keywords. Keywords can be applied to any content type either through the Properties tab (Plone 2) or the Categorization tab (Plone 3).
You can add or change these categories if you are the site administrator:
- Go to Site Setup and choose Zope Management Interface at the bottom of the list
- Select portal_metadata from the long list of icons. It's usually in about the middle.
- Now click on the Elements tab at the top of the screen.
- On the list of things you can change, click on the Subject.
- You should see the default Event types listed in the Vocabulary box. Change them to the subjects you want your users to see when adding Events.
- Update your changes.
You don't need to do any editing in the ZMI. You can manage all your keywords via the regular editing interface. Here's what you need to know about Event Types:
- Keywords are Event Types and Event Types are keywords. They're one and the same.
- You can access keywords on a content item by editing it and clicking the Categorization tab
- Keywords do not exist in a vacuum. They only exist by virtue of being selected on a content item. To remove an existing Event Type, you need to track down the item(s) that have the keyword selected, and deselect it. Once they’re all gone, the keyword ceases to exist.
- You cannot change an existing keyword, you can only remove an old keyword and create a new one. This means if you have 25 items all tagged with "fundraiser" and you want to change them all to "donor event", you’ll have to go and de-select the 25 "fundraiser" keywords and then go add "donor event" to each one.
- The bottom line is, be fairly certain of your choice of keywords before you go tagging lots of items!