How to Make Links Open in a New Window
This How-to applies to: 2.1
- Create an external link to an outside website
- Dive straight into the HTML of the page -- Click the icon that looks like a scroll or simply says HTML in little letters. You'll know you clicked the right spot when your nicely formatted page turns into a mess of garbled HTML.
Find the link that you created. If the link I created was for
the phrase "newspaper" linking to the NY Times (like this: newspaper), I would look for HTML like the
Add the following little scrap of code that appears in dark grey to that
<a target="_blank" href="http://nytimes.com">newspaper</a>
- Sometimes you'll see a target attribute already there like this:
<a target="_self" href="http://www.nytimes.com>newspaper</a>
- In that case, just change _self to _blank
- That's it! Hit Save. When anyone clicks your modified link, it will open in a new window.